Saturday, April 26, 2014

Easter Part 2 - A visit from my favourite baby


For most of the Easter break, I was counting down the days until my sister and her family came to the mountains. We met up in Katoomba, at a specialty waffle shop on the main street (which is always so busy!) Tony and I loitered as subtly as we could to nab the only four seater table right at the front of the shop. My niece arrived fresh from her nap and in her first ever winter coat, a snow coloured quilted thing.

She seems so grown up now. At 7 months she eats solids and has an opinion on whether she wants to be standing, sitting or lying down (rarely the latter these days). Thankfully she hasn't grown out of cuddles just yet. She is very attentive and curious and sleeps far less, which means more time for hanging out, eating and reading books together.


For the day and a half that our stays overlapped (my sister stayed in the most amazing cabin in Blackheath, which was conveniently 5 minutes from where I stayed. Next time, I'm keen to stay in this treehouse!) we hung out whenever we could. We had afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast together before heading to the park before it was time for us to begin our 6 hour drive home.

Hoodies in the park! My little niece is a bit too young for chocolate, so I bought her two Easter board books, on the advice of my friend Kristy who seems to know exactly what kids like. I may have also bought her a tiny cardboard handbag containing two chocolate Lindt eggs which was really for my sister and photo opportunities ;)

I miss this little one so much! She's one of my favourite people and I hope to see her again really soon. I really loved hanging out with my sister and her husband, and we're already planning more joint holidays. I missed them as soon as we'd said goodbye! The four of us (plus bebe) get along so well and it feels like we can help a little with the baby, she gets lots and lots of attention!


Last stop - Annie's ice creamery in Bathurst on the way home! The pink and white diner had come highly recommended by two friends who visit the town often and so even though we weren't terribly hungry, we stopped in for something to eat. We tried the new Choc Banana flavour (delicious) and were very amused watching the comings and goings of the corner shop.

We watched a woman carry 4 ice creams across the road to her family waiting in the park. She had a bright green and purple cones, amongst more natural looking flavours. Inside, a family of six sat in a horseshoe booth, munching on their cones and then I saw an older woman with a double scoop in one hand and her steering wheel in the other as she made a u-turn and drove away.

Somehow, we missed a key turn off in between Cowra and Young and added an hour or so to our trip, making it home well after dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment